Stone Legend

Thin set stone trims

Question

I am a manufacturer of cast stone, I am interested in feed back on the prospects of designing a thin light weight cast stone trim for accents around doors and windows that would fit the pounds per square ft requirement to apply same the veneer stone is done? 

Too in the event the mix design cannot be made light enough because it becomes too thick for the sq ft area of contact, would there be a market for it if it were installed mechanically through the scratch coat?

Bottom line is there a demand for the trim on the thin veneer? 

1 answer to this question

Personally, I do see numerous applications for the window/door surrounds that you describe...although typically they are installed as an anchored veneer along with the rest of the masonry veneer cladding.

That said, there is nothing that would technically prevent an adhered veneer surround from being used - provided that it met current building code criteria...including the 15 pounds per square foot weight limit you reference. 

The challenge I foresee is whether such a product would be classified as a cast stone product (and accordingly meeting the requirements of ASTM C1364) or a manufactured stone veneer product (meeting the requirements of ASTM C1670). If intended to comply with ASTM C1364, establishing a mix design that met the compressive strength and absorption requirements of ASTM C1364 - while concurrently having a weight of 15 psf or less may be a challenge...but certainly possible.